Reconciling topic and map metadata
For each element that can be contained in the <topicmeta> element, the following table addresses the following questions:
- How does it apply to the topic?
- This column describes how the metadata specified within the <topicmeta> element interacts with the metadata specified in the topic. In most cases, the properties are additive. For example, when the <audience> element is set to "user" at the map level, the value "user" is added during processing to any audience metadata that is specified within the topic.
- Does it cascade to other topics in the map?
- This column indicates whether the specified metadata value cascades to nested <topicref> elements. For example, when an <audience> element is set to "user" at the map level, all child <topicref> elements implicitly have an <audience> element set to "user" also. Elements which can apply only to the specific <topicref> element, such as <linktext>, do not cascade.
- What is the purpose when specified on the <map> element?
- The map element allows metadata to be specified for the entire map. This column describes what effect, if any, an element has when specified at this level.