The format attribute
dita. If no value is specified, but the attribute is specified on an ancestor within a map or within the related-links section, the value will cascade from the closest ancestor.
Using the format attribute
Possible values for this attribute include:
- The destination uses DITA topic markup or markup specialized from a DITA topic. Unless otherwise specified, the corresponding default type will be treated as "topic."
- The format of the linked-to resource is HTML or XHTML.
- The format of the linked-to resource is PDF (opens a new window).
- The linked-to resource is a DITA map. It represents the referenced hierarchy at the current point in the referencing map. References to other maps may occur at any point in a map, but because relationship tables are only valid as children of a map, referenced relationship tables are treated as children of the referencing map.
- (no value)
- Processors default to "dita"
For other formats, you can use the file extension without the "." (for example, in a link to file "readme.txt", use "txt" as the value).